Thursday, August 14, 2008

What a blessing!?!?!

When Dylan was first assessed for ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) his therapists told me about a program called "Respite Care". I'd heard of it before but didn't know a whole lot about it. Respite Care is short term care that helps a family take a break from the daily routines and stresses of taking care of a disabled child. (Yes, Dylan is classified as disabled even though it's not bad). Anyway, long story short, it's a state funded program (tax payer $s) that provides family with funds to pay childcare. It can be used for professional childcare (Daycare, Preschool, etc) or it can be used for in home childcare (babysitting).
About 2-3 weeks ago I decided to apply for the Respite Care program. One of Dylan's therapists called today and said we are approved!!! For August, we are approved for 20 hours at a rate of $7.00 per hour. How it works is, they send me a voucher. Each time someone babysits for us or we place Dylan in a place where we would have to pay, I fill out the voucher, have the childcare provider sign it and I send it in at the end of the month. Then, they send me a check for the number of hours x $7/hour. Since ECI's fiscal year starts over Sept 1st, I'm not sure exactly how many hours I will have for Sept. but I will know soon. Dylan's therapist said it's usually between 15-20 hours per month, depending on how many applicants they have. But, now that we are approved, we are guaranteed some hours every month.
This is such a HUGE blessing for us! As most of you know, our nanny, Joy doesn't work for us on a permanent basis anymore so I've been with the kids ALOT lately! Finances have been tight so I couldn't justify paying a babysitter. NOW I CAN!!!!! I'm really excited to be able to get some "Mommy Time Out" time again! This truly is a blessing from God!

No comments: