Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Finally... Discipline for Dylan

As some of you know, we've been trying to find a way to discipline Dylan without making it way worse than it was to start with. I mean, since Dylan has little to no calming skills, if he is spanked, he will continue to be upset for 30-45 minutes! And I don't just mean normal upset after a spank - I mean, screaming at the top of his lungs like you'd just chopped his leg off! Anyway, that is one thing that I've talked with his therapist about is "We have to discipline him for throwing fits, etc but we cannot treat him like our other children... What do we do?"
Well, we finally found something that works VERY well with Dylan! We've only been doing it for 2 days but he responds very well! If he throws a fit or screams about something that shouldn't be screaming about, we tell him to "Go stand in the corner" and he walks right to the corner and stays there until he is finished crying. I've actually noticed a huge difference! Normally, when you take something away from him that he is not supposed to have but WANTS to have, he screams bloody murder. But several times today, he's started to scream and I can see it "click" in his head to stop! It's awesome!
Here are a couple of pictures I took today of him in the corner. I know it's a discipline time but it's just too cute to see his little self standing there.

"Can I come out yet?" DeeDee says. Mommy replies, "Not until you stop crying." And it works...

No comments: