Monday, August 25, 2008

Picking up Chandler from his 1st day

Ok, so when I posted that blog for "Chandler's first day of kindergarten", he was still in school. I didn't know all of this was about to happen.........
Heath, Hanna and Dylan were taking a nap so Matt stayed home with them and I walked up to get Chandler from school. I saw a couple of other moms there outside waiting for their "walkers". Chandler is a "walker" because he walks or rides his bike to school. The bell rang and the walkers starting coming out. I looked and looked for him but didn't see him. As the last of the kids walked out, I went up to the teacher that was holding the door and said, "My child did not come out with the walkers." Another mother said the same thing. She told us to go into the office and they would page the kid and teacher and they'd be right up. The other mother's child and Chandler were both paged. Her child come to the office within 1-2 minutes but Chandler never came. I asked her to page again as I was getting nervous. She paged again and still nothing. I began to freak out a little. I had been standing around waiting for about 10 minutes at this point. Another teacher came up and could see the desperation on my face and asked if she could help me. I told her what was going on and she said, "Come follow me back to the Kindergarten hall, I'm sure he's probably back there with his teacher crying because he can't find you." So, off down the hall we went. We rounded the corner and saw that his classroom was dark. No one was there. She said, "Well, let's go look in the "car rider" line." So we rounded another corner and at this point I could hear them over the bull horn saying, "Chandler Bell. Chandler Bell. Chandler Bell." As I walked up, all the teachers were shaking their heads NO, saying he wasn't around them. At this point I began to cry hysterically. I got my cell phone and called Matt and asked if Chandler had showed up at home, thinking maybe he'd walked home alone. Matt's said, "NO... Why? What's going on?" I said, "We can't find Chandler." He said, "WHAT?? I'm coming up there!" I said, "No......." And he hung up the phone. As I was REALLY freaking out now, I starting scanning the kids sitting in the hallway and I just happened to see a little blonde head that I knew was the back of Chandler's head. I pointed and said, "There he is!!!" And went running over to him! I was in a panic!!!!! The teacher with the bull horn was standing RIGHT OVER HIM! She asked him why he didn't say something when they were yelling his name and he said, "I was, you just couldn't hear me." I didn't care at that point, I was just SO relieved to find him!!! So, we went to the front of the school and practiced where he will go from now on and where I will be standing waiting for him.

2 comments:

Michelle Lee said...

This made me cry!!! Just thinking about what you went through and how I would feel if that were Jenna!!!!! I'm so sorry you had to go through that... I can't imagine!! I'm SO glad it turned out ok!
I love the pictures of him in his class! They were precious!

Anonymous said...

Something similar happened to me last year. I was babysitting a girl after school and the first day I was suppose to pick her up they brought out Nicholas but not her. I asked the teacher and she said the "pink cards" were in the front, and I drove around there and they said to go to the office, so I went to the office and they went to get her, and just like you she was sitting with her class. She was crying when she got there because she though I had left her! She saw me through the door and watched me drive off! It was horrible!! They should not expect five year olds to be that responsible!!